This practical one day course delivers the proofreading skills needed to identify and correct mistakes so that copy achieves maximum impact.
You will cover how to read thoroughly and accurately and how to spot and correct the common spelling, grammar and punctuation errors that can ruin good copy.
This course makes extensive use of exercises to build your proofreading skills and confidence.
You need no previous proofreading experience to attend this course.
• Functions of a proofreader
• Approaches to proofreading
• How to read thoroughly and accurately
• Proofreading on paper and on screen
Proofreading and editing marks
• Understanding proofreader's marks and terminology
• Commonly used terms: ens, ems, points, picas
• Different types of proof
• The dangers of relying on grammar or spelling checkers
• Dealing with tables and complicated pages
• How to read and correct page proofs
• Cutting and making lines
• Keeping a proofreading checklist
• Spelling and punctuation tips
• Regularly misspelt words
• Punctuation marks defined
• Common punctuation errors
• Deviating from the usual proofreading rules
• Avoiding common errors
• Changes in current usage
Working with the author
• The role of tact
Avoiding the common pitfalls
• Misspelling headlines
• Wrong telephone numbers or email addresses
• Incorrect prices
• Misplaced headlines or captions