Successful organisations are ones that communicate effectively.
Business reports and communications should be clear, concise and free of ambiguity.
This course will help you develop business writing skills that convey a targeted message and project a professional image.
The course employs practical business writing techniques to enable you to create compelling and well-structured business documents, memos, emails and reports.
You need no previous business writing experience to attend this course.
Planning the message
• Planning what you have to say
• Who is your audience?
• Generating ideas
• Overcoming writer's block
• Meeting the needs of your audience
Structuring your writing
• Choosing an appropriate style for your audience
• The essentials of business writing
• Structuring your message
• Models to use
• Choosing the correct tone for your audience and message
Different document formats
• Different formats for emails and memos
• Different formats for business reports
Writing clearly and concisely
• Simplifying your language and sentences so that your written English has maximum impact
• Rules for clear and concise copy
• How to rewrite a piece for a different audience
Formatting reports and business documents
• The essentials of good design
• Looks do matter
• Guidelines for laying out your report so the aesthetics reflect the quality of the content
Editing and proofing
• The importance of mistake-free work
• Editing and proofing techniques
Clear, concise communication
• Guidelines for clear and concise copy
• Measuring the clarity of your written work
• Examples of what works and what doesn’t
• Appealing to intelligence and business sense
• Critiquing professional business writing techniques