The ability to influence others, build relationships, manage conflict and communicate your thoughts effectively are vital skills in today's working environment.
This course uses a combination of case studies and practical exercises to help you develop the key skills required to communicate your thoughts and views effectively at work.
You need no previous experience to attend this course.
The principles of effective communication
• What is communication?
• Understanding verbal and non-verbal communication
• The difference between passive, aggressive and assertive behaviour
• Why assertive behaviour is vital for effective communication
Improving your existing communication skills
• Understanding whether you are communicating effectively
• Influencing outcomes by changing your internal frame of mind
Being assertive, being positive and influencing others
• Changing the way you interact with work colleagues or clients to maximise your influence
• Stating your views
• Explaining your reasoning
• Using incentives
• Establishing expectations
• Using open questions
• Building common ground
Rights and responsibilities
• Understanding your rights and responsibilities at work
• How to give constructive feedback
• Getting more from people you work with
• Changing the way you are managed
• Positive means productive
• Avoiding unnecessary confrontation
Communicating effectively with difficult people
• Developing strategies and techniques for communicating and dealing effectively with difficult situations
• Dealing with aggressive or difficult people